Supporting and promoting Social Enterprise
Social enterprise is an exciting, ethical and sustainable way of doing business which benefits the community, society or environment. Social enterprises are businesses which trade but reinvest their profits into their social or environmental aims and some may also achieve their aims by the way in which they run their business. Social enterprises trade in many markets selling high quality goods and services directly to individual consumers (see BTGS) as well as to government and local authorities as well as other businesses, they aim to make a profit just like any other business however their profits are always reinvested back into their social and/or environmental purpose.
Our vision is to be: the hub for social enterprise owned and led by the sector ensuring social enterprise and socially enterprising activity in Edinburgh is central to social and economic growth.
Our mission is to: enable growth of the sector, economy and society based on; robust research; development of key partnerships; creation of virtual and physical spaces to meet, exchange ideas and knowledge and coproduce and learn; accessible to all who have a desire to effect lasting change.
The support and services we offer include:
- Peer support - bringing members together to discuss and share their experiences, good practice and ideas through networking and training events
- Facilitating trading - across members and between social enterprises, private companies and public sector organisations
- Facilitating cooperation and collaboration - across social enterprises, private companies and public sector organisations to enable community benefit
- Branding - of Social Enterprise through Doogie Goodstuff and ‘Buy the Good Stuff’
- Awareness raising - across the public, the public sector and private sector of the community, societal, environmental and economic benefits of social enterprise
- Capacity building - of people and organisations to develop the skills and knowledge required to create, run, manage and govern a social enterprise.
- One to one support - for new and aspiring social enterprises and entrepreneurs where there are gaps in existing service provision or knowledge
- Research –working with academic partners to research social enterprise approaches and their impact. By sharing the learning we then contribute to a vibrant city and influence policy and strategy.
- Engagement, consultation and representation - with social enterprises and stakeholders, ensuring the sector’s views and interests are represented within community planning and other relevant forums
- Information and signposting –on support services, events, training and opportunities provide by other local and national partners.
Read how some of our members did it! Find out more