A cooperative in Edinburgh working for a world without waste!
We empower our community to live a low carbon life. Become a member and learn to fix a bike, swap your pre-loved things, enjoy some rescued food and be inspired by new ideas.
SHRUB Coop currently has 3 spaces across Edinburgh, with several key areas of activity.
- At the Zero Waste Hub on 22 Bread Street, we have a Swapshop, where you can shop for second-hand items, including swapping your old items for tokens to be used in the shop; a Food Sharing Hub, where you can buy rescued food on a pay-as-you-feel basis; and a Cafe where you can relax and get inspired by the community.
- At the Wee Spoke Hub on 13 Guthrie Street, we have our bike workshop, where you can join us for fix-your-own-bike sessions on Tuesday and Thursday nights, 5-8pm, or on our volunteer nights on Wednesday evenings, same time. You can also buy bike parts and bikes that our volunteers have fixed up. At the same location you’ll also find one of our offices where our finance and project coordination teams work.
- At SHRUB Space on 17 Guthrie Street, you can join us for Sewing Drop-in sessions on Thursday evenings 5-7pm, as well as other events and meetings. You’ll also find our second office, where our Zero Waste Edinburgh team works.
- In May and June, you can find us in the university halls and across the city, collecting items that students have left behind as a part of our annual end-of-term collections. We give them away at our annual Freeshop in September and at other Freeshops throughout the year. Beyond the collections, we also run a variety of other events and workshops, including the Zero Waste Festival, upcycling and repair workshops, sustainable fashion meet-ups and much more.
- Finally, our Food Sharing network collects food year-round from small and medium businesses such as bakeries and distributes it to anyone who might want to eat it, including charities, the volunteers themselves, and bread boxes in businesses throughout the city.